Sunday, September 23, 2018

Common Clay

     This past April I attended a game at Fenway Park, something I hadn't done in a long time. My brother-in-law Pete bought the tickets, my sister Mary-Jo bought the beer, the Sox won by a lop-sided score: it was great.
    But as we left the park, I saw something that disturbed me. A crowd was waiting by an overhead door in the back wall of the park hoping for a glimpse of the players as they whizzed by in their limos.
    When I was a kid, we were likely to see the players on the same trolley as us, headed for home. During the off-season, the players worked as short-order cooks or carpenters. What has happened? We've become a nation of silly adulators. Most disturbing.
Former Sox utility player.

2 comments:

Joe - Wednesday's Child said...

This makes me think of the birthday lists I prepare for the Wannaskan Almanac each Wednesday. Gone are the adventurers, authors, discoverers; now we have sports figures and movie stars.

Chairman Joe said...

We still have opportunity for adventure and danger thanks to bottle runs.