Saturday, May 15, 2021

May 15, 2021 Saturday

    It was foggy when I went out for my daily walk around six this morning and the sun was just coming over the trees. There's a meadow along the west side of our road and I saw something unusual out in the field. It was a black lump that started to move. Then I could see it was a skunk. Skunks are nocturnal and avoid humans. 

   This skunk stared at me. I knew it was rabid. Rabid animals sometimes attack people, but this one just turned and ambled towards the woods. I continued on my walk and when I returned, the skunk was still there. It was acting erratically, first looking up, then snuffling in the ground. Should I get my gun and put it out of its misery? Wouldn't that be my civic duty?

   I went home. I took the lazy option and decided to go out after breakfast with my gun. Teresa said she would text the neighbors about the skunk. We've been seeing lots of unusual wildlife. A river otter walked across our porch. There was a pine marten in the garage. The skunk completed the triad.

   It's good to get out for an early morning walk. In the winter we go for a snowshoe on our almost a mile long trail through the woods, but that ends when the river breaks up in March. For a few weeks it's nasty in the mornings until May comes along and I can start my day briskly.


County Road 8

God Bless You Reader. May Your Needs For Tomorrow Be Met.

No comments: