Sunday, May 30, 2021

May 30, 2021 Sunday

    Whenever I fix something using my miniature Swiss Army knife, the Classic model, people say, "Oh, you're being like MacGyver." "Thanks," I respond. "Who's MacGyver?"  "He's this guy who solves problems using paper clips and pieces of string on TV." I was intrigued, but it seems the series had ended years ago.

  Then recently, in my dentist's waiting room, I got to see a few minutes of a MacGyver rerun. He seemed to be some kind of undercover cop who's cover had been blown. Some bad guys were after him. He managed to hide in some bushes, but the bad guys were closing in. They had their guns out. They unleashed a couple of  Rottweilers.

   There was a roaring river in a deep chasm next to MacGyver's bush.  The Rottweilers had his scent. But MacGyver stayed cool. He took a toothbrush out of his pocket and strung some dental floss onto the toothbrush to make a bow.  Apparently he had just been for a cleaning that morning. He opened the blade of his little Swiss Army knife, tied the end of the floss to his knife, then shot his knife using the toothbrush/bow into a tree across the chasm.

   Could dental floss support the weight of a grown man? MacGyver proved that it could.  The bad guys took a few pot shots at MacGyver who by then was shooting twigs into the bad guy's tire valves causing the air to run out. The police soon picked up the bad guys thanks to MacGyver's shoe phone.

   I thought of MacGyver while rummaging through our household trash this morning. I came across an old toothbrush and popped it in my pocket next to my knife. You never know.



"Hey, let's be careful out there."

   

1 comment:

Joe - Wednesday's Child said...

I've got a Leatherman SUPER TOOL 300 hanging from my belt. It has the heft to break an automobile windshield should I find my self careening down an icy embankment into a deep ditch during winter [as the passenger, of course]. The saw is handy, too.

I have another Swiss Army model almost like yours, but a bit smaller, which is the perfect tool for scraping cuticles on my mani- pedicure days.

We MacGyvers need to have our hands and feet looking good for those close-up, action shots of tools in use.