Friday, May 20, 2022

Bake!

 



   I'm a fan of The Great British Baking Show. In this competition, twelve amateur bakers come together in a big white marquee tent in the British countryside and bake their hearts out. There's no prize money. They are baking for glory and a glass cake stand that says "Winner."

    Each week the bakers must complete three challenges. First: a signature bake, something they would bake for friends and family. Next is a technical challenge. They are able to practice the signature bak at home. The technical challenge is unknown until they lift the cloth on the ingredients. All the bakers are given the same ingredients and a minimalist recipe. It's a test of their  baking instincts and even the best bakers sometimes stumble.  

   The following day the bakers must bake their showstopper. This challenge must look spectacular as well as taste great. The bakers can practice this at home and I can imagine the tons of baked goods the families must consume to support their hero. 

   Each week there's a theme, pastry, bread, biscuits (cookies in Britain), etc. There are two hosts who attempt to lighten things up by asking the bakers silly questions. I read one of the qualifications for being on the show was being able to talk while you bake. Meanwhile, the two judges prowl about the tent making the bakers nervous. The female judge is tough but nice nice. The male judge is also tough and not as stern in reality as he appears on the show.

   The best baker for each week is named Star Baker, one one baker is sent home. This is the worst feature of the show. By the third week I've grown fond of all the bakers and I hate to see any of them leave. The other bad thing is that the show only runs once a year. I find other things to do while they make a new show, but it's like waiting for Christmas.

   I've thought of a solution for both these problems. The eleven eliminated bakers could compete in a follow-up competition right after the first one was done. Then the ten eliminated bakers from that competition would compete against each other and so on until everyone had eventually won. Maybe they could screen one of these completions per month until it was time for a new set of bakers.

   I'm always been amazed by the skills of the bakers in the competition, but I realized if my scheme was in place even I could be on the show (I would need to obtain British citizenship first). Yes, it would mean being eliminated eleven straight times, but in the final competition I'd only be competing against myself. My ineptitude might become a national joke. On the other hand, I might become a hero to those who have trouble running a toaster.  Besides, that winner's plate next to my Kitchen-Aid would make it all worthwhile.

2 comments:

Joe - Wednesday's Child said...

Or, you could start your own Pizza Bake show. Who wouldn't want to learn how to make a better pizza‽

Chairman Joe said...

TuttI!